Pages

Tuesday, March 31

Happy Birthday Me!


Well, I've made it this far. Twenty-eight years and all I've got to show for it is this silly little blog. March 31, 1981 12:07 AM: my exact moment of birth. The witching hour, what an eerie moment to pick to be born. You'd think I'd be more discreet than that. It's no wonder I have this latent dark side brooding within me. Being born at such a late hour is to blame, right?

In case you can't tell, these pictures are from my birthday party. My mom's parents and my cousins all came to celebrate the inauguration of my twenty-eighth year. We had boat-loads of kid-friendly fun which mainly consisted of running in circles and waving our hands in the ear like crazed little Macauley Culkens (guess the movie), watching Spongebob and eating far too much cheescake and soy ice cream (c'est tellement delicieux). Of course, it was so good to see my grandparents (By some miracle of nature at twenty-eight, i still have both sets of them. Go figure). Of course, they put both trick candles and sparklers on my cheesecake. I was so confused and intimidated by all that tricky illumination. I didn't know whether to douse the cake in my half-full glass of water or run away screaming. Those candles were determined not to go out without a fight. In the end, the cadre of cousins, nephews and my niece took care of it with blowing galore (and even some spitting). Those candles didn't know what hit 'em.


I just heard coyotes howling in my backyard. Maybe they were trying to mimic the police sirens that were echoing through the night air, or maybe they just thought they were other coyote howls. They sound just like you think they would. I imagined the typical image of the coyote howling on the cliff silloutted by the larger-than-life moon. It's pretty cool that my parents live in a place that has coyotes. It just makes it that much more exotic.

2 comments:

  1. A bit late, but happy birthday! Glad you finally got the candles out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it common practice to put sparklers on cakes???? AHHHH!

    ReplyDelete