Pages

Tuesday, September 29

An additional blog for an exhausting day

This was it. I thought that today would be one of those early to rise, early to bed type of days, but alas 'tis not the case. Why would it not be? (Wow, thanks for your heightened personal opinion of this writing.) Today was going to be a bit much from the start: an 8am phone call with an expensive researcher immediately followed by a trip unawares to the local Burzynski clinic. It turned into a full day, though. I didn't get back into my room until 10pm. Now I know you busy folks out there may be pontificating, "That's not so bad, I do that most days." I know I used to be one of you. Oh and I took 10mg of Melatonin the night before. That'll keep you asleep all day.

Anyway, not to be totally vindicating myself (although I don't want to come off as a total wuss either), today was an interesting albeit somewhat disheartening day. So what's the deal then? I essentially have two options here. The first option is targeted gene therapy. It's essentially a treatment plan involving my own blood and several cancer biomarkers.

The treatment goes like this: My blood is taken (Yet again. I don't think I even feel it anymore), and it's tested for several markers that determine the specific oncogenes (those little cancer-promoting rapscallions) that my particular tumor expresses. Then if I do have a tendency for over expressed oncogenes, they'll scientifically formulate a proper list of ever-efficacious drugs for me to take that would ideally kill off any remaining tumor cells. I take some pills, and I may have to go get a shot each week. Oh and this is the easy way.

If I don't over express any oncogenes, then I'd need to do things the hard way. I'll need to turn to the Antineoplaston lifestyle. This is no simple drug, it is a lifestyle (albeit one that could save my life). Let me explain it to you. First, I'll have to have a catheter inserted into my sub-clavicle (for those of unexposed to bone speak, it's your collar bone). Then I'll be essentially taught how to be my own nurse. There will be a small 4lb. pump that will require a constant 24 hour connection. Connected to this pump will be two bags in a convenient little case that holds my synthetic pee residue. (Really. It's derived from human urine. Don't worry, it doesn't smell like it anymore...much.) These are two large liter-sized bottles. I'll go through three of those in six of my four-hour episodes. On top of this, I'll have to learn how to spike my own bottles to avoid pumping air into a major artery of mine, sanitize my catheter every time I reconnect the tubing, clean it out every three to five days, and draw my own blood via catheter every two days. This will be analyzed and faxed to Burzysnki to be interpreted by his hi octane staff of Houston docs. Oh and on top of all that, this will be a process that could take up to a year. Yay!

1 comment: