Pages

Thursday, February 19

A new haircut and a raw food chaser


I must say that today was a much better day than yesterday. Days that I have bad headaches don't even feel like days rooted in reality. I'm seriously a different person on those days: rooted in my own wretchedness!

Today I did get a haircut, though. It's so great that I don't have to lose my hair for this operation--you know the one where I basically get scalped and my brains scooped out--yeah, no head shaving. So I decided that I should at least cut my hair shorter than usual (there's a picture of me post-haircut below, you probably wouldn't have guessed it). Apparently there's gonna be a bunch of goo all over it during and after the operation. That doesn't go well with long flowing locks, now does it? Anyhoo, the barber I went to is called The Beatnik Barbershop. He's no Michelle (she's my Philly hairstylist. Here's my plug for her at Ground Zero South located in the lovely Sweat Gym on Passyunk--go to her) but it was damn close and full of character. I just remember staring at a painting of a big black boxer who obviously had it out for me and me alone. I was scared. What? He was punching the air. How was I supposed to feel?


After the Haircut, we ventured down to a cool little raw food shop for lunch. It's called the Yabba Pot Cafe, and there was some delicious Kale and Spinach salad (what the H are we gonna do with me and my newly acquired vegan tastes?) My parents got some really good cooked Indian curry, rice, plantains and black beans. It's so sad. Even that looked really good. I think my ability to appreciate food has somehow migrated from the lower eschelons of food craving to a place that exists on some kind of higher plain. For example, instead of craving ice cream with chocolate syrup (which is still enticing by the way), I just want some fruit. I haven't had fruit in months. Tomatoes are my new fruit; a friggin' raspberry would be incredible.

9 comments:

  1. dave, i think you're still ugly, and i don't like you. -joe beddia

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, this blog is very inspiring. and i know you understand my humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awhh cookie...luv the doo!!! and the beard of course!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna get the rest of Cloud Minder to go to the hospital with their amps and play Pelican covers at full volume when you're in surgery. I just want to help Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww dave. you look handsome! I haven't used that word to describe anyone, ever. James why would you have Cloud Minder play Pelican covers? Don't you think Cloud Minder covering Mahler, The Titan, would be more EPIC!?? I think so. Dave, when you get better, I am going to have an awesome time preparing vegan raw foods for you. It would be my absolute pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dave!

    i miss you so much. in an unbearably selfish way it was sad having on of my only new friends taken away from me so suddenly.

    but i can dig it. hopefully i'll see you tomorrow. i also really miss our absurdist chats while we worked together. i hope you appreciate those as much as i do... as a meditative reflection on life and consciousness, even if maybe they didn't seem like that at the time!

    Truly though, that's what they were.

    love you.

    adam

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww adam. of course i'll see you tomorrow which is actually now today, and i do miss those absurdist chats. what else could we possibly look forward to at ye ol' taproom besides good conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe your sense of humor is like a ton of bricks plummeting from the narrow edge of a skyscraper in Philly--I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon I would love to eat some of your delicious vegan cuisine. I'll have to cook you guys some raw stuff, too. It's much better than how it sounds, too. I got a raw food cook(prep)book at wholefoods recently. It's gonna make for some great meals. And James, haven't you heard that I have a brain tumor? I mean come on. I would much prefer to have Cloud Minder muse on some on something a bit more lighthearted than Pelican. Just take Shannon's damn suggestion, alright?

    ReplyDelete