Pages

Wednesday, February 18

With a little help from my friends


From the lyrics of the great Beatles tune, the title says it all. I don't think I'd be here today, if it wasn't for all the great well wishers that have doggedly persisted in well, wishing me well.

Well the big day has been scheduled at Johns-Hopkins. Dr. Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa (Check out his info. He started out in this country as a migrant worker. Now he's one of the foremost brainsurgeons--'nuff said) will be doing the slice and dice on my frontal lobe on Friday, Feb. 27th. I'm a bit on the nervous side; it's not too bad right now, though (I'm also trying not to think about it). I'd love it if some of you friendly folks would call my hospital room and tell me about your non-surgery related days or send me an appropriately placed text message--that would also be great.
Anything to know that someone else is out there that isn't having to deal with brain surgery. I won't be admitted until that day, but I'll post my room info as soon as I get it.

Quinones really impressed my family and I with his steadfastness, faith in himself and his 'A' team. I thought that was incredibly reassuring to say the least; we hadn't really encountered a surgeon like that yet. We'll be up here in Baltimore for a bit, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. It could be two-four weeks, when all's said and done. It will be expensive for my family, but we'll figure all of that out down the road. I guess for now, all we can do is just explore Baltimore really well. You should expect this blog to be a bit of an all-things-Baltimore blog for the next few days. That's fine. I like travel blogs.


4 comments:

  1. I saw a special on this surgeon on NPR. His story is amazing, going from migrant worker to foremost neurosurgeon, sounds like you're in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you have visitors?
    evan and i were talking about coming to visit you. no obligations. just come up say hello and if it's too much excitement, we can go. i would also love to bring you some fun things that are great for keeping the mind fun and sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I'll be in the super special Neurology intensive care the night after, then depending how I'm doing and when, they'll move me to the more general population for a day or two. Hopefully, I'll be doing well enough that they can move me soon, but there's no telling. I'd LOVE to see you guys, though. Any super duper mind games would be well appreciated, too.

    ReplyDelete